Science of Sleep Resources
The National Institute on Aging (NIA), the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), and the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Development (NICHD) are partnering to host Facebook Live Q&As and share resources that highlight the science of sleep across the lifespan. Share these materials and resources, like sleep diaries, brochures, and booklets, with anyone who might have an interest in the science of sleep and how to get a better night's sleep.
Facebook Live Q&A's
Share the Science of Sleep Facebook Live Q&As with your networks. The series will focus on the importance of sleep across the lifespan including teens, adults, and older adults. Use the hashtag #ScienceOfSleep and the graphics and social media language below.
Science of Sleep and Teens
- Date: Tuesday, Aug. 10 at 2:30 p.m., ET
- Where to watch: This event was hosted by NICHD. You can watch a recording of this event below or view the recording on Facebook.
- For more information on teen health: Visit NICHD's Facebook or Twitter feed
Science of Sleep and Adults
- Date: Tuesday, Aug. 17 at 2:30 p.m., ET
- Where to watch: This event was hosted by NHLBI. You can watch a recording of this event below or view the recording on Facebook.
- For more information on sleep health: Visit NHLBI's Facebook or Twitter feed.
Science of Sleep and Older Adults
- Date: Tuesday, Aug. 24 at 2:30 p.m., ET
- Where to watch: This event was hosted by NIA. You can watch a recording of this event below or view the recording on Facebook.
- For more information on healthy aging: Visit NIA's Facebook or Twitter
Information on sleep health
- How much sleep do I need? (NICHD): From newborns to older adults, find out how much sleep people should get at every age.
- Science update: Later school times may reduce sleep deficits for high school students, suggests NIH-funded study (NICHD): This article explains a recent study on the impact of delayed school start times on teen sleep deficiency.
- In brief: Your guide to healthy sleep (NHLBI): This fact sheet includes tips for getting enough sleep. It also discusses sleep and driving, dealing with jet lag, and addresses sleep disorders. This fact sheet is also available in Spanish.
- Sleep brochure (NHLBI): Do you know the difference between sleep needed to feel awake and sleep needed to be healthy? This brochure describes the difference and offers tips for getting a good night’s sleep.
- Sleep diary (NHLBI): Use the diary to track your sleep.
- Sleep and older adults: How to get a good night's sleep (NIA): Download, share, or view the booklet.
- Six tips for a good night's sleep video (NIA): Share this video on social media with tips for a good night's sleep. This information is also available as an infographic.
Information on common sleep problems and sleep disorders
- Sleep apnea (NHLBI): Learn more about sleep apnea including its causes, signs and symptoms, and more.
- Circadian rhythm disorders (NHLBI): Read more about types of circadian rhythm disorders, signs and symptoms, and more.
- Sleep deprivation and deficiency (NHLBI): Explore what happens when you do not get enough sleep.
Information on sleep funding and resources for researchers
- Sleep Research Information (NICHD): Learn more about NICHD-supported sleep research.
- National Center on Sleep Disorders Research (NHLBI): Explore NHLBI-supported sleep research.