NIA Policy on Training Grant Add-on Slots
NIA is committed to diversifying the aging research workforce, and particularly the aging research trainee population. NIA-supported training grants (T32s) are expected to support qualified trainees from backgrounds likely to diversify the research enterprise with their awarded training slots. If after having filled all awarded slots on the training grant an eligible and qualified trainee is identified, directors of NIA-supported T32s are permitted to request a temporary additional pre- or postdoctoral training slot.
Add-on diversity supplement slots to T32 programs will be considered. To be eligible for such supplements, the principal investigator (PI) needs to demonstrate that:
- All of the awarded training slots at the candidate’s career level are currently filled;
- That the proposed diversity supplement recipient is a member of an underrepresented group in biomedical, clinical, behavioral, and social sciences research including, but not limited to, individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups, individuals with disabilities, or individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds per NOT-OD-20-031; and
- That the proposed diversity supplement recipient can be transitioned to a regular training slot in the second year of training.
PIs may only request an add-on training diversity supplement slot for one year of support. It is expected that the Diversity Supplement recipient will be transitioned to the regular training position for any subsequent years of support. Requests may be made at any time during the project period, provided enough time remains to allow at least 2 years of training for the potential trainee.
The components of the application are:
- Cover Letter
- Candidate Biosketch including in the personal statement information about the candidate's motivation to enter and/or remain in aging research, and their short-term and long-term career goals.
- Candidate Eligibility Statement signed by the PI and an institutional official establishing the eligibility of the trainee for support under a diversity add-on slot per NIH's Notice of Interest in Diversity (NOT-OD-20-031).
- Budget request for proposed total training period (e.g., July 1, 2022, through June 30, 2023) and budget justification to support the additional trainee position for one year, including stipend (in accordance with the established NIH stipend schedule), travel funds, training-related expenses, and any necessary tuition and fees. Include, if applicable, the funds requested for reasonable accommodations.
- Documentation that all the program’s awarded slots at the candidate’s career level are currently filled (i.e., completed and signed Statement of Appointment Forms (SF 2271) have been submitted to and accepted by NIA). This documentation should consist of a list of all trainees currently being supported by the T32 grant, along with their current and anticipated subsequent year appointment dates.
- Evidence of which training position will be occupied by the candidate in the second year. If a program cannot provide confirmation that the candidate will be transitioned to a regular training position in the second year, the add-on slot will not be supported.
NIA accepts applications on a rolling basis. Applications will be reviewed within 2-3 months of receipt. The last date to submit an application for consideration before September 30 is May 1.
For more information about the T32 Diversity Supplement program contact the NIA Training Office.
For more information about the T32 Diversity Supplement budget and other fiscal issues contact Jessi Perez.