Translational Capabilities: Expanding genetics efforts and data sharing (Milestone 4.K)
Timeline Start - End2018 - 2024
Research Implementation AreaTranslational Tools, Infrastructure, and Capabilities
Leverage the power of human genetics to enable precision medicine research for AD by:
- improving the accessibility of large-scale AD genetics data
- expanding genetics efforts across AD and ADRD cohorts, as open science programs, similar to the Psychiatric Genetics Consortium and AMP-T2D consortia, and
- encouraging commercial entities to share genetic data.
Support a large-scale, coordinated, genotyping/sequencing effort across AD and ADRD cohorts.
Develop an Open Access aggregated genetics data search engine/portal for Alzheimer’s and related disorders (akin to the AMP-T2D portal) to facilitate access to genetic data and analyses by the wide research community and to enable commercial entities to share genetic data.
Summary of Key Accomplishments
NIA supports an expansive genetics/genomics program and the affiliated enabling data infrastructure, the NIA Genetics of Alzheimer’s Disease Data Storage Site (NIAGADS), through a series of targeted funding initiatives. The major genetics initiative, the AD Sequencing Project (ADSP), brings together over 300 researchers from the US and internationally. The program is being expanded to include individuals from diverse populations. All data generated by the ADSP are provided to the Genome Center for Alzheimer’s Disease, which performs quality control, ensures rapid data sharing, and facilitates collaborations between cohorts and researchers studying neurodegenerative diseases worldwide.
The key accomplishments summary is current as of July 2022.
- PAR-16-047: The NIA Genetics of Alzheimer’s Disease Data Storage Site (NIAGADS) (U24)
- PAR-16-205: The National Institute on Aging (NIA) Late Onset of Alzheimer's Disease (LOAD) Family Based Study (FBS) (U24)
- PAR-16-406: Limited Competition: Additional Sequencing for the Alzheimer's Disease Sequencing Project (U01)
- RFA-AG-16-001: NIA Coordinating Center for Genetics and Genomics of Alzheimer's Disease (U54)
- RFA-AG-16-002: Alzheimer's Disease Sequencing Project (ADSP) Replication Phase Analysis Studies (U01)
- PAR-17-214: Limited Competition: Analysis of Data from NIA's Alzheimer's Disease Sequencing Project Follow-Up Study (U01)
- PAR-18-889: Limited Competition: Renewal of, and Revisions to, the Alzheimer's Disease Genetics Consortium (U01)
Research Programs and Resources
- NIA Genetics of Alzheimer’s Disease Data Storage Site (NIAGADS)
- Alzheimer’s Disease Sequencing Project
- Alzheimer’s Disease Genetics Consortium
- Genome Center for Alzheimer’s Disease