AD Related Dementias – Specific
Form research, clinical practice and public stakeholder dementia nomenclature working groups.
- Establish high level working groups of stakeholders to begin discussions that will lead to draft recommendations to develop, refine and clarify dementia nomenclature for research (Research Working Group), clinical practice (Clinical Practice Working Group) and the public (Public Stakeholders Working Group).
- Convene the first in person meeting of each working group within 6 months of its establishment. Each working group is to report its recommendations to the NAPA Council within 1 year of establishment.
Summary of Key Accomplishments
In 2017, the topics of AD/ADRD nomenclature terminology was elevated to the level of a NAPA Council recommendation by the public members of the Advisory Council (Recommendation 4: Emphasis should be given to the standardization of terminology in dealing with cognitive and dementing disorders). The NAPA Council requested that an outside committee be formed, and dementia nomenclature is now being pursued by the Dementia Nomenclature Initiative (DeNomI).
This information is current as of July 2022.
- Research Implementation Area
- AD Related Dementias - Specific
Research Programs and Resources
- Elevated to National Plan: 2016 Update; Appendix 2, Rec 4
- Elevated to National Plan: 2017 Update; Appendix 2, Rec 4
- Research Summit on Dementia Care: Terminology Issues
- ADRD Summit 2019 Nomenclature Session
- Dementia Nomenclature Initiative