Health Equity: Facilitate health disparities research training (Milestone 4.S)
Timeline Start - End2020 - 2025
Research Implementation AreaTranslational Tools, Infrastructure, and Capabilities
AD-Related Dementias Focus
Increase training support and capacity of an AD/ADRD scientific workforce of persons historically under-represented in biomedical, behavioral, and social sciences.
- Support at least two initiatives that prioritize robust mentorship and sponsorship to train under-represented AD/ADRD scholars and trainees at any career stage (undergraduate through senior levels); track and monitor trajectory and impact.
- At least one initiative to train AD/ADRD scientists in health equity research.
- Develop and disseminate training and education in health equity principles for dementia researchers and dementia care professionals at all career stages.
Summary of Key Accomplishments
NIH supports diverse individuals through general training programs as well as with targeted efforts to increase the number of scientists from diverse population groups who are prepared to pursue careers in neuroscience research. Through PAR-20-222, NIH supplemented several active research projects to provide resources for trainees who bring diverse perspectives to AD/ADRD research and/or research on health disparities in AD/ADRD. NIH continues to encourage eligible awardees to apply for these supplements.
The key accomplishments summary is current as of July 2022.
- NOT-NS-20-089: Notice to Encourage Eligible NINDS Alzheimer’s Disease and Alzheimer’s Disease-Related Dementias (AD/ADRD) Initiative Awardees to Apply for PA-18-906 "Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research“ (Renewal of NOT-N
- PAR-19-343: Maximizing Opportunities for Scientific and Academic Independent Careers (MOSAIC) Postdoctoral Career Transition Award to Promote Diversity (K99/R00 - Independent Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- NOT-NS-21-047: Administrative Supplements to Promote Diversity for NINDS Alzheimer's Disease and Alzheimer's Disease-Related Dementias (AD/ADRD) Awardees
- PAR-22-021: NINDS Institutional AD/ADRD Research Training Program (T32 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- PAR-22-022: NINDS Alzheimer’s Disease and Alzheimer’s Disease-Related Dementias (AD/ADRD) Advanced Postdoctoral Career Transition Award to Promote Diversity (K99/R00 Independent Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
Research Programs and Resources
- NIH Common Fund’s Faculty Institutional Recruitment for Sustainable Transformation (FIRST)
- Select projects funded in FY21
- 2019 ADRD Summit: Health Disparities in AD/ADRD, Focus Area 4: A Diverse and Inclusive AD/ADRD Workforce, Milestone 7
- 2022 ADRD Summit: Health Equity in AD/ADRD, Milestone 2