Data Sharing: Tool sharing (Milestone 3.E)
Timeline Start - End2018 - 2024
Research Implementation AreaData Sharing and Reproducibility
Accelerate independent evaluation of research findings by mandating the open distribution of publicly and privately/philanthropically funded computational and experimental research tools for their use/reuse across the research community. Establish mechanisms to harmonize methods and outcomes across all research domains including SOPs and best practices for all stages of analysis so that they can be reused, evaluated, and expanded.
- Align funding requirements and policies across federal and non-profit funding agencies supporting AD research to ensure open distribution of computational and experimental research tools and to support harmonization of methods and outcomes across all research domains including SOPs and best practices for all stages of analysis.
Summary of Key Accomplishments
An NIA-supported open-source platform provides access to over 550 candidate targets for AD (discovered by the researchers from the AMP AD and affiliated consortia) along with the supporting evidence and data that were the basis for the target nominations. This allows researchers to independently evaluate these discoveries and advance them. The TREAT-AD and MODEL-AD Centers are developing research tools for target validation and new animal models, respectively, for late-onset AD and making them available without any restrictions to the scientific community.
NIA's Harmonization of AD/ADRD Genetic, Epidemiologic, and Clinical Data to Enhance Therapeutic Target Discovery aims to develop infrastructure that will support the harmonization of key clinical data on participants with available genetic data to create a sustainable dataset that can be reused for precision medicine research.
The key accomplishments summary is current as of July 2022.
- RFA-AG-16-014: Alzheimer's Disease Translational Center for Disease Model Resources (U54)
- RFA-AG-18-014: Limited Competition: Data Coordinating Center for the Accelerating Medicines Partnership Target Discovery and Preclinical Validation Consortium AMP AD (U24)
- PAR-19-269: Cognitive Systems Analysis of Alzheimer's Disease Genetic and Phenotypic Data (U01 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- PAR-20-099: Harmonization of Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias (AD/ADRD) Genetic, Epidemiologic, and Clinical Data to Enhance Therapeutic Target Discovery (U24 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
Research Programs and Resources
- Agora: AMP AD’s Web-based Interactive Platform
- Model Organism Development & Evaluation for Late-Onset Alzheimer’s Disease (MODEL-AD)