AD/ADRD Nomenclature: Research, clinical practice, and stakeholder working groups (Milestone 14.L)
AD-Related Dementias Focus
Form research, clinical practice and public stakeholder dementia nomenclature working groups.
- Establish working groups to draft recommendations to develop, refine and clarify dementia nomenclature for research, clinical practice, and the public.
Summary of Key Accomplishments
In 2017, the topics of AD/ADRD nomenclature terminology was elevated to the level of a NAPA Council recommendation by the public members of the Advisory Council (Recommendation 4: Emphasis should be given to the standardization of terminology in dealing with cognitive and dementing disorders). The NAPA Council requested that an outside committee be formed, and dementia nomenclature is now being pursued by the Dementia Nomenclature Initiative (DeNomI).
The key accomplishments summary is current as of July 2022.
- Research Implementation Area
- Public Private Partnerships
Research Programs and Resources
- Elevated to National Plan: 2016 Update; Appendix 2, Rec 4
- Elevated to National Plan: 2017 Update; Appendix 2, Rec 4
- Research Summit on Dementia Care: Terminology Issues
- ADRD Summit 2019 Nomenclature Session
- Dementia Nomenclature Initiative