ADRD Specific Milestone
Clarify the epidemiology of health disparities in AD/ADRD prevalence and incidence by documenting and monitoring trends in health disparities in AD/ADRD prevalence and incidence over time.
Initiate at least one study that assesses the full spectrum of AD/ADRD (i.e. AD, FTLD, VCID, LBD and mixed dementias) prevalence, incidence, trends over time, and long-term outcomes in diverse populations (e.g. racial/ethnic, socioeconomic, geographic) and in populations that experience health disparities. To ensure valid estimates this study is to be embedded within large scale community‐based health surveillance systems, potentially including primary care, and must control for confounding factors including but not limited to stigma and under diagnosis. The study must collect participant data across the full range of social determinants of health including race/ethnicity, nativity, primary language, income and wealth, educational background, gender identity and sexual orientation, and geographic location in relevant research programs. Genomic sex and ancestry should be documented separately from self-identified gender and race/ethnicity, as these are different variables.
Develop and release a report on the results of this study.
- Research Implementation Area
- Health Disparities
- In Progress
- RFA-NS-17-012: Detecting Cognitive Impairment, Including Dementia, in Primary Care and Other Everyday Clinical Settings for the General Public and in Health Disparities Populations (UG3/UH3)
- PAR-15-349 :Health Disparities and Alzheimer's Disease (R01)
Research Programs and Resources
- REGARDS VCID and Stroke in a Bi-racial National Cohort (REGARDS)
- Detecting Cognitive Impairment, Including Dementia, in Primary Care and Other Everyday Clinical Settings for the General Public and in Health Disparities Populations(UG3/UH3)
- Health Disparities and Alzheimer's Disease (R01)