Continue to establish new cohorts that include participants across diverse racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds and incorporate the collection of multi-omic and clinical data (imaging, personal wearables, and sensors for in-home monitoring) to accelerate the identification of genomic variants and other risk and protective factors contributing to the heterogeneity and multifactorial etiology of dementia and to enable the development of predictive models of disease and wellness. Ensure that these cohorts represent the current and future projected population trends.
- Establish at least 3 new cohorts that incorporate deep molecular endophenotyping with participants of African, Native American, Asian, and mixed ancestry, e.g. Latinos, as well as younger cohorts (midlife and younger participants). The phenotyping should include cognitive, behavioral, imaging, exposome measurements, multidimensional “omics” data and multiple types of physiologic measurements that can be used for systems biology and gene-environment interaction studies. These programs should include big-data infrastructure resources to ensure that the data are made available as a public resource and support for collection, storage and rapid distribution of biosamples including brain tissue.
- Research Implementation Area
- Population Studies and Precision Medicine
- In Progress
- PAR-15-356: Major Opportunities for Research in Epidemiology of Alzheimer’s Disease and Cognitive Resilience (R01)
- PAR-17-214: Limited Competition: Analysis of Data from NIA's Alzheimer's Disease Sequencing Project Follow-Up Study (U01)
- PAR-18-889: Limited Competition: Renewal of, and Revisions to, the Alzheimer's Disease Genetics Consortium (U01 Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (Reissue of PAR-14-070)
- PAR-18-296 Complex Integrated Multi-Component Projects in Aging Research (U19 Clinical Trial Optional).
- PAR-18-835: Global Brain and Nervous System Disorders Research Across the Lifespan (R01 Clinical Trials Optional)
- PAR-15-349: Health Disparities and Alzheimer's Disease (R01)
- PAR-19-070 Research on Current Topics in Alzheimer's Disease and Its Related Dementias (R01 Clinical Trial Optional)
- PAR-19-071 "Research on Current Topics in Alzheimer's Disease and Its Related Dementias (R21 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)"
- NOT-AG-18-047 Health Disparities and Alzheimer's Disease (reissue of PAR-15-349 and PAR-15-350 (as R21))
Research Programs and Resources
- Alzheimer’s Disease Sequencing Project (ADSP)
- Cohort Studies of Memory in an International Consortium (COSMIC)
- Mexican Health and Aging Study
- NIA Late Onset of Alzheimer’s Disease Family Based Study
- Health and Aging in Africa: A Longitudinal Study of an INDEPTH Community in South Africa (HAALSI)
- National Health and Aging Trends Study (NHATS)
- National Social Life, Health, and Aging Project (NSHAP)
- Health and Retirement Study Harmonized Cognitive Assessment Protocol (HCAP)
- Understanding America Study (UAS)
- The Collaborative Aging Research using Technology (CART) Initiative
- ADSP multi-ethnic cohort 1
- ADSP multi-ethnic cohort 2
- Asian Indian cohort
- African American cohort
- African American APOE4 protective factors
- Korean cohort