Population Studies: State-of-the-art protocol (Milestone 1.D)
Timeline Start - End2018 - 2023
Research Implementation AreaPopulation Studies and Precision Medicine
Develop state-of-the-art protocol for assessing dementia on large nationally representative samples that (a) includes racial/ethnic subsamples large enough to support disparities research and (b) is adaptable for use in comparable studies around the world
Archive and share data for use by the research community.
Update national estimates of the prevalence and incidence of dementia and cognitive impairment as well as address important questions about the epidemiology and population impact of dementia. Repeat national estimates in 2021 to measure trend in dementia prevalence.
Support research projects comparing international differences to identify potential risk and protective factors.
Support research on health disparities by racial/ethnic groups.
Use existing cohort studies to investigate critical periods for intervention success, including cohorts well before mid-life.
Summary of Key Accomplishments
The success criteria for this milestone have been achieved. NIA supported the development of a state-of-the-art protocol for assessing dementia in large nationally representative samples – called the Harmonized Cognitive Assessment Protocol (HCAP) – which is now being implemented in the NIA-funded Health and Retirement Study and multiple international “sister studies.” The HCAP enables researchers to measure and understand dementia risk in ongoing longitudinal studies of aging around the world using methods and content that are as similar as possible across studies.
The key accomplishments summary is current as of March 2022.
- PAR-15-349: Health Disparities and Alzheimer's Disease (R01)
- PAR-15-350: Emerging Directions for Addressing Health Disparities in Alzheimer's Disease (R03)
- PAR-15-356: Major Opportunities for Research in Epidemiology of Alzheimer’s Disease and Cognitive Resilience (R01)
- RFA-AG-15-015: Enhancing Cross-National Research within the Health and Retirement Study Family Studies (R01)
- PAR-17-054: Leveraging Existing Cohort Studies to Clarify Risk and Protective Factors for Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias (R01)
- RFA-AG-18-005: The Health and Retirement Study (U01)
- NOT-AG-18-053: Notice to Specify High-Priority Research Topic for PAR-19-070 and PAR-19-071 – topic is Major Opportunities for Research in Epidemiology of Alzheimer's Disease and Related Dementias and Cognitive Resilience
- RFA-AG-19-016: High-Priority Behavioral and Social Research Networks in Alzheimer's Disease and Alzheimer's Disease Related Dementias (R24 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- RFA-AG-20-002: Centers on the Demography and Economics of Alzheimer's Disease and Alzheimer's Related Dementias
- RFA-AG-20-023: Exploratory Alzheimer's Disease Research Centers (P20)
- RFA-AG-20-004: Alzheimer’s Disease Research Centers (P30) (re-issue of RFA-AG-19-001)
- RFA-AG-21-008: National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent to Adult Health (Add Health) – Wave 6 (U01 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- NOT-AG-18-053: Notice to Specify High-Priority Research Topic for PAR-19-070 and PAR-19-071
- NOT-AG-21-033: Health Disparities and Alzheimer's Disease
- NOT-AG-21-045: Opportunities for Research in Epidemiology of Alzheimer's Disease and Alzheimer's Disease-Related Dementias (AD/ADRD) and Cognitive Resilience
- RFA-AG-21-008: National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent to Adult Health (Add Health) – Wave 6
Research Programs and Resources
- The Quick Dementia Rating System (QDRS): A rapid dementia staging tool
- Harmonizing Cognitive Assessments in Irish, English, and American Longitudinal Studies: Supporting Cross-national Research on the Epidemiology of Dementia
- Early Life Conditions, Work, Psychological Wellbeing, Cognition and Dementia Risk
- Influences of Early and Later Life Events on Cognition and All-cause Dementia in China
- Dementia Determinants in Caribbean and U.S. Hispanics
- Mexican Health and Aging Study (MHAS)
- English Longitudinal Study of Ageing (ELSA)
- USA Health and Retirement Study Harmonized Cognitive Assessment Protocol (HCAP)
- Mexico Health and Retirement Study Harmonized Cognitive Assessment Protocol (HCAP)
- England Health and Retirement Study Harmonized Cognitive Assessment Protocol (HCAP)
- China Health and Retirement Study Harmonized Cognitive Assessment Protocol (as part of the CHARLS Wave 4)
- India Health and Retirement Study Harmonized Cognitive Assessment Protocol HCAP (Phases 1 and 2)
- South Africa Health and Retirement Study Harmonized Cognitive Assessment Protocol HCAP
- Projects funded under RFA-AG-21-008