Support the development of the next generation of animal models based on the current understanding of genetic and environmental risk and protective factors for AD and related dementias, using genome editing and other cutting edge technologies (optogenetics/deep brain stimulation/trans-magnetic stimulation, and next generation in vivo imaging) to facilitate assessment and validation of findings from human studies.
- Develop and characterize by deep molecular, behavioral, electrophysiologic and neuropathologic phenotyping at least 12 next generation animal models of sporadic AD/ADRD and make these available to all qualified researchers without IP restrictions for use in basic research and in preclinical drug development.
- Research Implementation Area
- Translational Tools, Infrastructure and Capabilities
- In Progress
- RFA-AG-14-002: Optogenetic Tools for the Study of Neural Systems in Aging and Alzheimer's Disease (R01)
- RFA-AG-16-014: Alzheimer's Disease Translational Center for Disease Model Resources (U54)