AD Related Dementias – Specific
Determine interrelationships among cerebro- and cardiovascular disease, VCID risk factors, aging, resilience, genetics, amyloid, tau, and neurodegeneration including along the life course.
- Complete one or more comprehensive studies of the independent associations between biomarkers of VCID and biomarkers of Aß‐ and tau‐related pathology/neurodegeneration in a human cohort.
- Initiate at least one intervention study to identify the effects of modifying VCID risk factors on biomarkers of Aß‐ and tau‐related pathology and neurodegeneration.
Summary of Key Accomplishments
Over the past decade, new research has significantly changed our concept of dementia. Once thought to be a catch-all term describing a person’s loss of the ability to think, remember or reason, dementia is becoming better understood to include many, complex dementia disorders, including Alzheimer’s disease and several different ADRDs. Moreover, researchers are finding that most people diagnosed with dementia have multiple AD and ADRD-related disease markers, or “mixed pathologies.”
NIH-funded scientists recently discovered and coined a term for a new dementia-related pathology, which they call “LATE,” or limbic-predominant age-related TDP-43 encephalopathy. LATE is frequently found in individuals diagnosed with different forms of dementia, including Alzheimer’s-type dementia, vascular-related dementia, and mixed pathology dementia. This new understanding that multiple disease processes often underly dementia suggests the need to intervene in multiple dementia-related pathways in the same individual and provides new prevention and treatment targets for future research.
This information is current as of July 2022.
- Research Implementation Area
- AD Related Dementias - Specific
- In Progress
- RFA-AG-15-010: Interdisciplinary Research to Understand the Vascular Contributions to Alzheimer's Disease (R01)
- PAR-17-054: Leveraging Existing Cohort Studies to Clarify Risk and Protective Factors for Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias (R01)
- RFA-NS-19-012: Post-Stroke Vascular Contributions to Cognitive Impairment and Dementia (VCID) in the United States Including in Health Disparities Populations (U19 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- PAR-19-167: Development and Validation of Advanced Mammalian Models for Alzheimer's Disease-Related Dementias (ADRD) (R61/R33)
- RFA-NS-20-013: White Matter Disease Etiology of Dementia in the U.S. Including in Health Disparities Populations
Research Programs and Resources
- VCID and Stroke in a Bi-racial National Cohort (REGARDS)
- Post-Stroke Vascular Contributions to Cognitive Impairment and Dementia (VCID) in the United States Including in Health Disparities Populations (U19 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- Development and Validation of Advanced Mammalian Models for Alzheimer's Disease-Related Dementias (ADRD) (R61/R33)
- Diverse VCID: White Matter Lesion Etiology of Dementia in Diverse Populations