AD Related Dementias – Specific
LBD biomarker development.
- Evaluate existing LBD biomarker efforts, including systematic assessments of their impact on identifying pre-dementia LBD and prodromal or at-risk for LBD patients.
- Informed by this evaluation, develop new biomarkers for LBD in both model systems and in humans, and in a diversity of tissues including in the periphery.
- Validate at least one biomarker in multi-site large scale trials.
- Incorporate at least one new LBD biomarker into studies designed to diagnose prodromal LBD.
Summary of Key Accomplishments
Several recently-funded awards are currently evaluating the utility of various biomarkers for LBD, including studies that are testing skin biopsies for abnormal alpha-synuclein in individuals with LBD, which appears to be a very promising biomarker assay that is extremely sensitive and specific for alpha-synuclein-related disorders. In one study, researchers demonstrated that this assay can successfully differentiate individuals with dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB) from individuals with Parkinson's disease (PD) even though both disorders develop abnormal alpha-synuclein deposits in the brain. Another research team showed that higher blood levels of a particular protein known as neurofilament light chain predicted which individuals with PD would go on to develop PD with dementia (PDD). Both alpha-synuclein and neurofilament light chain biomarker assays are being performed in the large, longitudinal NAPS2 study to determine if they are associated with progression from REM sleep behavior disorder to LBD.
This information is current as of July 2022.
- Research Implementation Area
- AD Related Dementias - Specific
- In Progress
- RFA-NS-16-022: Biomarkers for the Lewy Body Dementias (U01)
- RFA-NS-17-016: Leveraging Existing Resources for Research on Lewy Body Dementia (R03
- PAR-19-170: Progression Markers for Cognitive Impairment in Parkinson's Disease Dementia (R01)
- RFA-NS-19-014: Center without Walls for PET Ligand Development for Alzheimer's disease related dementias (ADRDs) (U19)
- RFA-NS-20-014: Peripheral Pathology in the Lewy Body Dementias
- NOT-NS-21-001: Notice of Special Interest: Administrative Supplements for Connecting Pre-mortem Clinical Information with Post-Mortem Brain Analysis
Research Programs and Resources
- Progression Markers for Cognitive Impairment in Parkinson's Disease Dementia (R01)
- Center without Walls for PET Ligand Development for Alzheimer's disease related dementias (ADRDs) (U19)
- NINDS Parkinson’s Disease Biomarkers Program (PDBP)
- NIH NeuroBioBank
- NINDS BioSEND
- NINDS Human Cell and Data Repository (NHCDR)