AD Related Dementias – Specific
Characterize the clinical phenotype of progressive dementia associated with TBI and develop non-invasive diagnostic approaches.
- Develop and validate a provisional clinical definition of TBI-related dementia(s) that distinguishes chronic static TBI-related symptoms from a progressive neurodegenerative disease.
- Establish diverse longitudinal prospective studies of individuals with TBI and unexposed controls with harmonized multimodal clinical evaluations including autopsy endpoints to identify clinical and pathophysiological features for differential prognoses of AD/ADRD risk following TBI. Consideration of the role of common TBI comorbidities, such as PTSD, pain, and mood dysregulation, should be included in the clinical phenotyping.
- Support the discovery and validation of chronic TBI biomarkers. These biomarkers should non-invasively identify the development of TBI-AD/ADRD pathologies and track their progression over time in relation to dementia.
Summary of Key Accomplishments
A current NIH-funded study (supported under RFA-NS-19-026) is seeking to distinguish between the type of TBI that can trigger gradual, progressive cognitive decline (i.e., dementia) versus TBI that causes chronic, stable cognitive impairment (i.e., not dementia). The study team will leverage already collected TBI data in addition to longitudinally following a cohort and identifying clinical biomarkers (imaging and fluid based) that are specific to TBI/dementia-associated brain changes. The findings from this study will inform future diagnostic research on TBI and dementia and hopefully help clinicians identify individuals with TBI who are at risk for dementia at an early stage.
This information is current as of July 2022.
- Research Implementation Area
- AD Related Dementias - Specific
- In Progress
- RFA-NS-19-026: Clinical and Biological Measures of TBI-related dementia including Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) (R01)
Research Programs and Resources
- Federal Interagency TBI Research (FITBIR) database
- Clinical and Biological Measures of TBI-related dementia including Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) (R01)