AD Related Dementias – Specific
Increase education and training of health professionals and researchers focused on cognitive impairment and dementia.
- Establish new programs with equal missions of research and training (MD, PhD, and other professionals) of individuals in the full spectrum of basic through clinical research in AD/ADRD, including in health disparities of AD/ADRD, and who in the future plan to be:
- Basic, basic disease-related, or clinical researchers;
- Clinicians who lead clinical research or who support clinical research (e.g. by supporting enrollment in clinical trials), and;
- Clinicians who may not be directly involved in research, but who seek AD/ADRD education to be effective for their constituents.
- Increase training in grant review relevant to cognitive impairment and dementia, including for trainees representative of the diverse U.S. population.
- Support a scholarship program that supports later stage in training health science professionals (MD, PhD, and other relevant health professionals) to attend AD/ADRD Summits.
- Evaluate the impact on the AD/ADRD workforce of training initiatives designed to recruit and retain graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, and/or early-stage investigators in cognitive impairment and dementia research, including from groups underrepresented in the biomedical workforce.
Summary of Key Accomplishments
NIH's AD/ADRD program actively incentivizes, encourages, and seeks opportunities to develop research and training programs as key elements of the organization's mission and has established six new institutional training programs since 2020 (PAR-18-524 and PAR-22-021). The NIA and NINDS are engaged with various initiatives to support diverse perspectives in all levels of AD/ADRD research and clinical training and have created two new funding opportunities to assist postdoctoral researchers from diverse backgrounds to transition to independent faculty positions conducting AD/ADRD research.
This information is current as of July 2022.
- Research Implementation Area
- AD Related Dementias - Specific
- In Progress
- PAR-17-072: Revision Awards to Institutional Training Programs to Advance Research on Alzheimer’s Disease and Alzheimer's Disease Related Dementias (T32)
- RFA-AG-17-063: Institutional Training Programs to Advance Translational Research on Alzheimer’s Disease and AD Related Dementias (T32)
- NOT-NS-19-003: Notice to Encourage Eligible NINDS Alzheimer’s Disease and Alzheimer’s Disease-Related Dementias (AD/ADRD) Initiative Awardees to Apply for PA-18-906 "Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research"
- NOT-NS-20-089: Notice to Encourage Eligible NINDS Alzheimer’s Disease and Alzheimer’s Disease-Related Dementias (AD/ADRD) Initiative Awardees to Apply for PA-18-906 "Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research"
Research Programs and Resources
- Diverse VCID: White Matter Lesion Etiology of Dementia in Diverse Populations
- Determinants of Incident Stroke Cognitive Outcomes and Vascular Effects on Recovery (DISCOVERY)