Enabling Tech: Cognitive assessment repository (Milestone 11.F)
Timeline Start - End2022 - 2025
Research Implementation AreaEnabling Technologies and Disease Monitoring
Maintain an open-access national repository of evidence-based tools for cognitive assessment that have been validated in diverse participants and are iteratively updated and refined. This resource should include modifiable data collection forms and analytical tools.
Establish a national repository of evidence-based tools for cognitive assessment validated across ethnically and socioeconomically diverse populations.
Incentivize academic-industry partnerships to build and make publicly available novel data harmonization and analytical solutions.
Summary of Key Accomplishments
NIA supports efforts to develop evidence-based tools for cognitive assessment that have been validated in diverse participants and are iteratively updated and refined. The NIA-funded Mobile Monitoring of Cognitive Change infrastructure projects are meant to serve as a platform for developing, evaluating, and validating cognitive assessment tools. This program will establish a repository of public-domain cognitive ability measures that enhance the assessment of cognitive change across the lifespan by enabling self-administered testing via smartphones. NIA is funding multiple projects that are developing cognitive screening tools to be incorporated into electronic health record systems to assist physicians in measuring cognitive decline and detect dementia earlier to inform treatment options and help persons living with dementia and their care partners plan for the future.
The key accomplishments summary is current as of March 2022.
- RFA-AG-16-021: Collaborative Aging (in Place) Research Using Technology (CART) (U2C)
- RFA-AG-18-012: Mobile Monitoring of Cognitive Change (U2C)
- RFA-AG-20-050: Low Cost Detection of Cognitive Decline in Clinical Settings (R61/R33)
- RFA-AG-20-051: Low Cost Detection of Cognitive Decline in Clinical Settings (R01)
Research Programs and Resources
- Collaborative Aging Research using Technology (CART)
- The MobileToolbox for Monitoring Cognitive Function
- Projects funded under RFA-AG-20-050 and RFA-AG-20-051