Care & Caregiving: Secondary data analysis (Milestone 13.D)
Timeline Start - End2018 - 2024
Research Implementation AreaResearch on Care and Caregiver Support
Support secondary analysis of data from population based and intervention studies with appropriate content related to informal and formal caregiving.
- Identify predictors of high-risk caregivers.
- Identify economic impact of informal caregiving on families and societies.
- Conduct cross-national comparative research.
- Identify potential buffers and predictors of healthy caregivers and positive caregiving outcomes for care recipients.
- Identify at least one novel association, target, pathway, or intervention target or approach through use of the database.
- Support research that addresses population disparities in impacts of caregiving.
Summary of Key Accomplishments
NIA has issued calls for research focused on informal and formal caregivers and for research conducting secondary data analysis to answer a variety of AD/ADRD research questions as well as supported data infrastructure projects to enable the study of dementia caregiving. Secondary data analyses using National Study of Caregiving data have addressed questions about social support and social engagement, disparities in respite use, and characteristics associated with caregiver health and wellbeing. Similar analyses of publications using Health and Retirement Study data address topics such as physical and mental health of caregivers of spouses with dementia, prevalence and predictors of informal caregiving for PLWD, and a funded study using HRS data to estimate the future availability of family caregivers of PLWD.
The key accomplishments summary is current as of July 2022.
- PAR-15-351: Research on Informal and Formal Caregiving for Alzheimer's Disease (R21)
- PAR-18-596: Research on Current Topics in Alzheimer's Disease and Its Related Dementias (R01)
- NOT-AG-18-001: Disparities in Quality and Access to Dementia Care
- RFA-AG-20-037 (R01): Dementia Care: Home- and Community-Based Services (HCBS) (R01)
- RFA-AG-20-038 (R21): Dementia Care: Home- and Community-Based Services (HCBS) (R21)
- PAS-19-391: Small Research Grant Program for the Next Generation of Researchers in AD/ADRD Research: Area of Focus Archiving and Leveraging Existing Data Sets for Analyses
- RFA-AG-20-002: Centers on the Demography and Economics of Alzheimer's Disease and Alzheimer's Related Dementias (P30) supports center programs that conduct pilot research and produce research resources to support social research on AD/ADRD
- RFA-AG-20-033: NIA Behavioral and Social Research LEaders in Alzheimers Disease and Its Related Dementias (NIA BSR LEADR DP1)
- NOT-AG-21-020 Maximizing the Scientific Value of Secondary Analyses of Existing Cohorts and Datasets in Order to Address Research Gaps and Foster Additional Opportunities in Aging Research
- NOT-AG-21-047: Behavioral and Social Science Priority Areas in Dementia Care Partner/Caregiver Research
Research Programs and Resources
- Estimating the Future Availability of Family Care for Alzheimer’s Disease in the US
- Transitions to Family Caregiving and its Impact on Health Indicators
- Decadal Commissioned Paper by Ana R Quiñones et.al.: Sociocultural Aspects and Determinants of Care for Alzheimer's Disease and Related Dementias (ADRD) among Minority Ethnic Populations (paper can be found in Meeting Materials section of meeting website)
- Examples of funded awards
- Summit Virtual Meeting Series: 2020 National Research Summit on Care, Services, and Supports for Persons with Dementia and Their Caregivers
- Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Patients with Alzheimer's Disease and Alzheimer's Disease Related Dementias
- Reducing Avoidable Nursing Home-to-Hospital Transfers of Residents with ADRD: An Analysis of Interdisciplinary Team Communication using Text Messages