Care & Caregiving: Dementia-friendly communities (Milestone 13.K)
Timeline Start - End2020 - 2024
Research Implementation AreaResearch on Care and Caregiver Support
Expand research leading to understanding of effectiveness and impacts of non-residential and residential care of PWD. Support research projects that identify community programs that can improve the lives of persons with dementia and their families; including home modifications and the support of Dementia Friendly Communities.
Identification of new effective models of dementia care for residential and non-residential settings, appropriate for widespread adoption.
Identify care models that are effective in diverse populations, including those who live alone. Diverse in SES, racial and ethnic composition and rural/urban settings.
Support research projects that identify community programs (e.g., home and community-based services) that can improve the lives of persons with dementia and their families; including home modifications and the support of Dementia Friendly Communities.
Summary of Key Accomplishments
NIA issued calls for applications for research that addresses the care needs, outcomes, and quality of care of persons with AD/ADRD living in the community, and eight projects were awarded in FY 2020 through these announcements. Funded projects from multiple dementia care funding opportunities are developing and testing residential and community-based care approaches, such as care management in minoritized populations, an intervention to increase physical activity and decrease institutionalization for sexual and gender minority older adults with AD/ADRD, a tablet-based intervention targeting caregiver nutrition and mental stimulation exercises for the PLWD, and a multi-site pragmatic clinical trial comparing the effectiveness of a health systems-based care program and a community-based care program.
The key accomplishments summary is current as of July 2022.
- PAR-15-348: Research on Informal and Formal Caregiving for Alzheimer's Disease (R01)
- PAR-18-027: Research on Informal and Formal Caregiving for Alzheimer's Disease (R01)
- PAR-15-351: Research on Informal and Formal Caregiving for Alzheimer's Disease (R21)
- PAR-18-179: Research on Informal and Formal Caregiving for Alzheimer's Disease (R21)
- PAR-18-596: Research on Current Topics in Alzheimer's Disease and Its Related Dementias (R01)
- NOT-AG-18-001 (#2): Improving the Lives of Person with Dementia (PWD): Impacts on PWD, Families, Communities
- RFA-AG-20-037: Dementia Care: Home- and Community-Based Services (HCBS) (R01)
- RFA-AG-20-038: Dementia Care: Home- and Community-Based Services (HCBS) (R21)
- RFA-AG-20-002: Centers on the Demography and Economics of Alzheimer's Disease and Alzheimer's Related Dementias (P30) supports center programs that conduct pilot research and produce research resources to support social research on AD/ADRD
- RFA-AG-20-033: NIA Behavioral and Social Research LEaders in Alzheimers Disease and Its Related Dementias (NIA BSR LEADR DP1)
Research Programs and Resources
- Gaps in the Dementia Care Workforce: Research Update and Data Needs
- Expert Meeting on the Demography of the Older Residential Care Population: Research Questions and Data Gaps
- Decadal Survey of Behavioral and Social Science Research on Alzheimer’s Disease and Alzheimer’s Disease-Related Dementias
- Examples of funded projects
- Summit Virtual Meeting Series: 2020 National Research Summit on Care, Services, and Supports for Persons with Dementia and Their Caregivers
- 2017 Dementia Care Summit 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 7.5, 9.1 and 9.4
- 2020 Dementia Care Summit: 2.9, 3.3, 6.4