Expand research on the care workforce and supply of skilled labor. Identify the barriers to entry, challenges of retention, and causes and effects of turnover.
Quantify economic impact on PWD and their families, and on health systems, attributable to current and projected future dementia and aging workforce limitations. Identify features of effective programs for workforce management and enhancement.
Develop strategies to support existing caregivers in the workforce to address issues such as skills training and precarious employment.
- Research Implementation Area
- Research on Care and Caregiver Support
- In Progress
- RFA-AG-20-002: Centers on the Demography and Economics of Alzheimer's Disease and Alzheimer's Related Dementias (P30 Clinical Trial Optional)
- RFA-AG-20-001: Centers on the Demography and Economics of Alzheimer's Disease and Alzheimer's Related Dementias (P30 Clinical Trial Optional)
- RFA-AG-20-037 (R01): Dementia Care: Home- and Community-Based Services (HCBS) (Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (R01)
- RFA-AG-20-038 (R21): Dementia Care: Home- and Community-Based Services (HCBS) (Clinical Trial Not Allowed) (R21)
- RFA-AG-20-033: NIA Behavioral and Social Research LEaders in Alzheimers Disease and Its Related Dementias (DP1)
- NOT-AG-20-026: Notice of Special Interest: Dementia Care Workforce for Those Living with Alzheimer’s Disease and Alzheimer’s Disease-Related Dementias (AD/ADRD)
Research Programs and Resources
- The Impact of Immigration on the Living Arrangements and Health of the Elderly
- Bridging Communication Gaps between Primary Care Providers and Adult Day Service Centers to Reduce Emergency Department Use and Hospitalizations among Persons with Dementia
- Gaps in the Dementia Care Workforce: Research Update and Data Needs
- Expert Meeting on the Demography of the Older Residential Care Population: Research Questions and Data Gaps