ADRD Specific Milestone
Improving differential diagnosis of symptomatic cognitive impairment.
- Initiate research to achieve improved and increased differential diagnosis of cognitive impairment and dementia disorders, including using biomarkers when possible, by medical specialists who serve the general public (e.g., but not limited to, neurologists, geriatricians, neuropsychologists and geriatric psychiatrists). This research is to be designed for caregiver buy in and impact in urban, suburban and rural environments, including in populations with health disparities. In addition to differential diagnosis across AD/ADRD, the research must also focus on differential diagnosis of rapidly progressive dementias as well as potentially treatable cognitive impairment and dementia. The research outcomes will include concise and implementable recommendations for medical follow-up based on the results of differential diagnoses.
- Make available effective cognitive impairment and dementia differential diagnosis paradigms to providers, including in community-based settings.
- Conduct an evaluation to determine the economic impact of earlier differential diagnosis
- Research Implementation Area
- In Progress
- PAS-17-028: Common Mechanisms and Interactions Among Neurodegenerative Diseases (R01)
- RFA-NS-19-014: Center without Walls for PET Ligand Development for Alzheimer's disease related dementias (ADRDs) (U19)
Research Programs and Resources
- Center without Walls for PET Ligand Development for Alzheimer's disease related dementias (ADRDs) (U19)