Funding Policies and Pay Lines
NIH funding policies govern all applications and issues related to NIA funding, including those related to the well-being of individuals in clinical studies. NIA has additional funding policies and guidance. Both are described below.
NIH Funding Policies
All relevant extramural funding policies can be found on the NIH Office of Extramural Research's Grants Policy and Guidelines website. Officials from institutions that may be first-time receivers of NIH grant support should read the NIH Welcome Wagon Letter. Materials include comprehensive descriptions of NIH Grants Policies and contact information (addresses and phone numbers) for the NIH offices responsible for managing these policies.
Frequently, NIH revises or introduces new policies. These changes are announced in the NIH Guide and listed in the Notices of NIH Policy Changes. Every several years, policy revisions are incorporated into the NIH Grants Policy Statement.
NIH supports safe and respectful work environments that are free from harassment, including sexual harassment, discrimination, or other forms of inappropriate conduct that can result in a hostile work environment. Read more about how the NIH is Supporting a Safe and Respectful Workplace at Institutions that Receive NIH Funding.
NIA Policies Concerning Specific Grant Mechanisms
- Program Project (P01) Policies and Guidelines
- Ranking of NIA-reviewed P01, U01, U19, and R01 applications
- NIA procedures for submitting applications for support of scientific meetings (R13, U13)
NIA Funding Line and Cost Control Policies
- Note on differences between U19 (Complex cooperative agreement awards) and P01 (Program project awards) at NIA
- Applications requesting $500,000 or more in direct costs in any year need to obtain approval before submission. Investigators need to contact their Program Officer at least eight weeks prior to the planned submission date. Please see NIA procedures for applications requesting $500,000 or more in direct costs.
- NIA Funding Line Policy for FY 2023
- NIA Funding Line Policy for FY 2022
- NIA Funding Line Policy for FY 2021
- NIA Funding Line Policy for FY 2020
- NIA Funding Line Policy for FY 2019
- NIA Funding Line Policy for FY 2018
- NIA Funding Line Policy for FY 2017
- NIA Funding Line Policy for FY 2016
- NIA Funding Line Policy for FY 2015
- NIA Funding Line Policy for FY 2014
- NIA Funding Line Policy for FY 2013
NIA Guidance Concerning Research on Human Participants
- NIA Guidance on Clinical Trials
- Alzheimer’s Disease Genomic Sharing Plan
- NIH OER Human Subjects Web Site
NIA Guidance on Sharing Data and other Resources
As always, if you have any questions, please contact your Program Official.