About the Division of Extramural Activities & Staff Listing
The Division of Extramural Activities (DEA) manages the policies and procedures for NIA research grants, small business initiatives, career development awards, and training programs. The division is responsible for scientific review, clinical trial stewardship, and the administration of grants and contracts.
Director: Kenneth Santora, Ph.D.
Deputy Director: Sanoj Suneja, Ph.D.
Office of the DEA Director
The Office of the DEA Director provides leadership and counsel to the NIA Director on implementing policies and coordinating operations for extramural research grants, contracts, and training programs.
- Provides oversight and management of the National Advisory Council on Aging.
- Management, coordination, and assignment of grant applications based on scientific content.
- Evaluates and resolves issues concerning human subjects before award.
- Provides leadership in developing, implementing, and coordinating new initiatives and special projects.
- Performs quality control, phasing, and clearance of initiatives and NOFOs.
- Facilitates NIH process for allegations of research misconduct.
- Provides leadership and guidance on NIH/NIA extramural policies.
See the staff listing for the Office of the DEA Director.
DEA Branches and Offices
Learn about other DEA branches and offices at the links below:
- Scientific Review Branch
- Grants & Contracts Management Branch
- Office of Strategic Extramural Programs
- Office of Clinical Research
Read about Grants & Funding at NIA