Division of Geriatrics and Clinical Gerontology
The Geriatrics Branch supports research aimed at improving health, function and quality of life of older persons. Particular foci include:
- Overall benefits and adverse effects of interventions for specific conditions
- Effectiveness and risks of treatment and care management strategies for older persons with multiple conditions, and for specific combinations of conditions
- Development of valid outcome measures that are useful in health care management and quality improvement, including measures that incorporate patient preferences
- Interventions to address pain, fatigue, and other common symptoms in older persons that limit function and quality of life; interventions to prevent or treat physical disabilities.
- Identification of previously unappreciated pathologies of old age and development of potential interventions against them.