Aged Rodent Tissue Bank Handbook
Information Supplied With Tissue
Vital Statistics Information Sheet
A Vital Statistics Information Sheet for each animal is sent with each order, which includes:
- Identification number for the animal
- Date of freezing
- Barrier of origin
- General condition of the animal, including visible lesions
Only healthy animals will be used. However, tumors may exist within organs that are undetectable at necropsy. No replacements will be provided for organs containing tumors undetectable at necropsy. Brain, heart, liver, spleen, lungs, kidneys, adrenal glands, and reproductive organs are frozen within 5 minutes of anoxia, and all other tissues are frozen within 10 minutes of anoxia.
The Vital Statistics Information Sheet indicates:
- The time from anoxia to freezing for major organs (brain, heart, liver, spleen, kidneys, lungs, and reproductive organs)
- The total time elapsed between anoxia and freezing of the last tissue specimen from the animal
- Wet weight of brain, heart, liver, spleen, kidneys, lungs, reproductive organs, white and brown adipose tissue, and muscle
- Detectable tumors, description of their location, and general morphology
Tumors will be entered into the Tissue Bank and the relevant Vital Statistics Information Sheet sent with any tumors shipped to customers.