Research and Funding
Inside NIA: A Blog for Researchers

New grant money for health disparities research

Posted by Thea on Jul 23, 2014 - 2:59 pm
This is a question related to PIs for aging research in health disparities. Are there administrative supplements for community based researchers (i.e. Physicians-physical health, Counselors-mental health) who wish to get involved in building health equity for medically underserved seniors? These are professionals who do not have traditional research backgrounds and are not affiliated with the major research colleges and institutes, but serve special populations daily, and desire to engage with research institutions to improve health outcomes for populations they have served for years. Currently, they are generally left out of these critical research conversations and process. Also, here at DCT LiveWell, we would like to find funding to establish community research collaborations for persons outside the traditional university system who have expertise and desire input to create population health solutions for those who need them most. To be sure, we are still interested in collaborating with our colleges and community professionals to establish small inexpensive pilot health research studies in multiple urban cities simultaneously to identify best practices at the community level that can be implemented much more quickly than traditional multi-year research and implementation cycles. Your input and suggestions on these topics will be sincerely appreciated.

Posted by NIA Blog Team on Jul 23, 2014 - 3:56 pm
Thea, thank you for these important questions. NIH RePORT ( is a great database to find potential collaborators. You could also get in touch with your state health department to inquire if they are looking for community partners. Other parts of the U.S. federal government also have funded this kind of community research (ACF, AHRQ, HRSA, HUD), as have many foundations, and the opportunities they offer may be a good fit for you.

Posted by Emily on Jul 27, 2014 - 9:36 am
I too have less of an opportunity to work with a major research university and more community-based research options as I work with a local Area Agency on Aging. I am an adjunct professor at a local university, do you see this as an opportunity to apply for this type of grant through the university to be used at the local level for health disparity research? Thank you for your thoughts on this.

Posted by Carl Hill on Jul 28, 2014 - 9:46 am
Emily, this particular opportunity is available as a supplement to existing NIA grants, so you'd have to find an NIA grantee to partner with in order to apply. To search for other health disparities research funding from NIH that might have different eligibility criteria, use the NIH Guide to Grants and Contracts:

Posted by Candace Brown on Jul 28, 2014 - 6:02 pm
Thanks for this info Dr. Hill! Are the topics, listed within the announcement, more likely to receive the administrative supplement award? Are you aware of how many awards are available? Thanks!

Posted by Carl Hill on Jul 29, 2014 - 8:36 am
Hello Candace, NIA intends to commit $250,000 in fiscal year 2014 to fund 3-4 awards. Applications that respond to the Specific Areas of Interest and Scope of Support described in the announcement are more likely to receive funding.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug 06, 2014 - 11:47 am
Great post, great information!