Virtual Workshop: Animals for Geroscience: Needs for Translational and Preclinical Research
On October 6-7, 2022, the Trans-NIH Geroscience Interest Group (GSIG) will host a virtual workshop on exploring animal models for preclinical and translational geroscience. We look forward to gathering background information on animal models currently used in diverse areas of geroscience research across the NIH, academia, biopharma, and biotech. The workshop will focus on several topic areas, including:
- Identifying potential advantages and disadvantages to studying specific animal models for the purpose of translating geroscience research findings into interventions with clinical benefits;
- Leveraging principles of comparative biology to gain new insights about aging and accelerate translation;
- Exploring the impact of nutrition and the microbiome on studies of animal models in geroscience;
- Highlighting new and alternative models for advancing geroscience interventions in the clinic;
- Examining ethical and logistical issues associated with studying animals for geroscience.