Seniors Join Surgeon General, NIA for A Capitol Walk with Go4Life®
On September 18, older adults will join the U.S. Surgeon General, the Director of the National Institute on Aging (NIA), fitness expert Donna Richardson, and leaders from a number of agencies and organizations for a fitness walk in the Nation’s capital. The event, which features the NIA Go4Life exercise and physical activity campaign and Step It Up! The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Promote Walking and Walkable Communities, highlights the importance of exercise and physical activity for healthy aging.
Who will be there?
- VADM Vivek H. Murthy, M.D., M.B.A., U.S. Surgeon General, U.S. Public Health Service, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Richard J. Hodes, M.D., Director, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health
- Nora Super, Executive Director, 2015 White House Conference on Aging
- Donna Richardson, Member, President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition
- Representatives from leading aging and health agencies and organizations
- Older adults from the Washington metro area who are interested in healthy aging and physical activity.
When and where will it take place? Friday, September 18, 2015. 12:45 p.m. arrival; walk starts promptly at 1:00 p.m. Beginning and ending at the Hubert H. Humphrey Building Plaza, 200 Independence Avenue SW, Washington, D.C.
Note: In case of rain, the event will be held at the South Interior Building Auditorium, 1951 Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. NIA will notify organizations by e-mail and place an announcement on its website by 10 a.m. on September 18, should a decision be made that the event will move indoors to the Interior Department site.