Butler-Williams Scholars Program 2018
The Butler-Williams Scholars Program provides unique opportunities for junior faculty and researchers who are new to the field of aging to gain insight about research on aging from a number of perspectives.
Location: Bethesda, MD
Date: July 30-August 3, 2018
Application Deadline: March 23, 2018
Eligibility: Qualified applicants must hold a doctoral degree (Ph.D., M.D., etc.). Only applicants working in the field of aging or actively considering this research field will be considered.
To Apply: Please complete and submitthe application form, then send the required supporting documents by email.
The 2018 Butler-Williams Scholars Program (formerly the Summer Institute on Aging Research) includes lectures, seminars, and small group discussions in research design relative to aging, including health disparities research related to aging. Lectures will cover research topics including: the biology of aging; genetics and Alzheimer's disease; and health, behavior, and aging. Discussion sessions will focus on methodological approaches and interventions. The program also will include consultation on the development of research interests and advice on preparing and submitting research grant applications to NIA.
The B-W Scholars Program is sponsored by NIA with support from the National Hartford Foundation and the Alzheimer's Association.
Who Should Apply?
Applications will be accepted from emerging researchers, including those who may have had limited involvement in research on aging. The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, noncitizen national, or lawfully admitted for permanent residence. As an offering of the NIA Office of Special Populations, researchers with an interest in health disparities research related to aging are encouraged to apply. Applicants from diverse backgrounds, including individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups, individuals with disabilities and women are always encouraged to apply for NIH support.
Participants will be selected based on:
- Previous experience and training
- Affiliation with a research university or laboratory
- Letters of recommendation
- A brief statement of objectives for attending the Butler-Williams Scholars Program
- Specific aims page
How to Apply
Applications are due March 23rd, 2018. Applicants will be notified regarding acceptance within 60 days. The application will include the following attachments:
- Statement of 150 words or less describing your objectives in attending the B-W Scholars Program.
- Letters of recommendation from two people who are familiar with your professional interests and scholastic achievements. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure letters of recommendation are received.
- One-page specific aims. Please include a full specific aims page as would be seen in an application for award. Be sure to discuss expected outcome and impact of your research.
- NIH Biographical Sketch (General).
- More information about preparing an NIH application
- How to write specific aims
- Inside NIA Blog post: Strengthen your research plan for a better score – Dos and Don'ts
- More information about preparing an NIH biosketch
Use the online application form to apply. Deadline: March 23, 2018
Office of Special Populations, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health