Stay Safe in Cold Weather!
Summary—What you can do about hypothermia
- Set your heat at 68 degrees or higher.
- Dress warmly on cold days even if you are staying in the house.
- Wear loose layers when you go outside on chilly days. Wear a hat, scarf, and gloves.
- Don’t stay out in the cold and wind for a long time.
- Talk to your doctor about health problems that may make it harder for you to keep warm.
- Find safe ways to stay active even when it’s cold outside.
- Ask a neighbor or friend to check on you if you live alone.
- If you think someone has hypothermia, call 911 right away. Cover him or her with a blanket. Don’t rub his or her legs or arms.
Publication Date: June 2011
Page Last Updated: August 11, 2015