Organ Donation Resources for Older Donors and Recipients
There are many resources for older organ donors and recipients available from the U.S. government.
Read more about how the National Institutes of Health is working with a team of federal agencies to encourage older adults to register as organ donors. There is information for potential donors and transplant recipients over age 50.
Resources for Potential Donors Over Age 50
- Is There an Age Limit for Organ Donation?, from the Administration on Aging
- Read personal stories of older individuals who donated, from the Health Resources and Services Administration
- Free print and web materials to encourage older people to donate, from the Health Resources and Services Administration
- More resources for organ donation, from the National Library of Medicine at the National Institutes of Health
Resources for Transplant Recipients Over Age 50
- Two thirds of the individuals waiting for an organ transplant in 2012 were 50 years old or older. Read other statistics and facts for people over 50, from the Health Resources and Services Administration.
- Read personal stories of older individuals who received a transplant, from the Health Resources and Services Administration.
- How long do I have to wait? Learn more about the transplant process and the only national waiting list for an organ, from the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network at the Health Resources and Services Administration. The list is national, though some organs are offered first to potential recipients within the donor’s region.
- Discover more resources for organ transplantation, from the National Library of Medicine at the National Institutes of Health.
Other Organizations Related to Donation and Transplantation: Non-Government
There are many other organizations working in transplantation and donation, including nonprofits, charities, advocacy organizations, and professional organizations of healthcare professionals. This list of non-government organizations working in organ donation and transplantation is maintained by the Health Resources and Services Administration.
Content reviewed: May 17, 2017