5 Ways to Make the Most of Your Doctor Visit
Communicating well with your doctor is key to receiving good health care. Learn how to have an effective conversation with your doctor.
Share this infographic and help spread the word about making the most of your doctor visit. Click on the social media icons on this page, or copy and paste the URL and post it to your account (Twitter, Facebook, etc.).
Share on Social Media
Copy and paste these messages into social media to help spread the word about talking with your doctor:
- Make the most of your doctor visit! Check out these 5 tips to improve communication with your doctor: https://bit.ly/3ghNMzk
- Being able to talk with your doctor about health problems or concerns is important. This infographic has tips to help you make the most of your doctor visit: https://bit.ly/2zjLoXS
- Read and share this infographic from the National Institute on Aging at NIH with tips on how to communicate effectively with your doctor: https://bit.ly/3bS5GVS
Being able to talk with your doctor is important, especially if you have health problems or concerns. Use these tips to make the most of your doctor visit.
- Prepare for your visit. Be ready to ask three or four questions. Share your symptoms, medicines or vitamins, health habits, and any major life changes.
- Take notes or ask for written materials. Don't be afraid to ask the doctor to repeat or clarify important information.
- Make decisions with your doctor that meet your needs. Discuss risks, benefits, and costs of tests and treatments. Ask about other options and preventive things you can do.
- Be sure you are getting the message. If you have trouble hearing, ask your doctor to face you when talking and to speak louder and more clearly.
- Tell the doctor if you feel rushed, worried, or uncomfortable. You can offer to return for a second visit or follow up by phone or email.
Learn more about communicating with your doctor.