Talking with Your Doctor
17 Questions to Ask About Your New Doctor
- Is the doctor taking new patients?
- Is the doctor covered by my insurance plan?
- Does the doctor accept Medicare?
Qualifications and Characteristics
- Is the doctor board certified? In what field?
- Is the age, sex, race, or religion of the doctor important to me?
- Will language be an obstacle to communication? Is there someone in the office who speaks my language?
- Do I prefer a group practice or an individual doctor?
- Does it matter which hospital the doctor admits patients to?
- Is the location of the doctor’s office important? How far am I willing to travel to see the doctor?
- Is there parking? What does it cost? Is the office on a bus or subway line?
- Does the building have an elevator? What about ramps for a wheelchair or walker?
- What days/hours does the doctor see patients?
- Are there times set aside for the doctor to take phone calls? Does the doctor accept emailed questions? Is there a charge for this service?
- Does the doctor ever make house calls?
- How far in advance do I have to make appointments?
- What’s the process for urgent care? How do I reach the doctor in an emergency?
- Who takes care of patients after hours or when the doctor is away?
Content reviewed: May 18, 2017