The A4 Study
Are you worried about memory loss in your future? Does Alzheimer's run in your family? If you are a healthy older adult age 65 to 85 with normal memory, now is the time to join the fight to prevent Alzheimer’s disease. The A4 Study is a landmark clinical trial that is testing a new drug that may help slow memory loss associated with Alzheimer’s disease. Read more about A4, or read about A4 in Spanish.
See a list of study sites.
Research is taking place at 56 U.S. sites, as well as four sites in Canada and one in Australia.
You may qualify for the A4 study if you:
- Are 65 to 85 years old
- Have normal thinking and memory abilities
- Have elevated levels of amyloid in the brain, as shown by a PET brain scan
- Have a family member, friend, or other person with whom you have contact at least once a week who can answer questions about you once a year (contact may be in person or by phone)
- Are willing and able to receive IV infusions of the investigational treatment (solanezumab) or a placebo every 4 weeks for 3 years
Are willing to have your health monitored using:
- memory and thinking tests
- electrocardiograms to look at your heart
- PET scan to look for amyloid plaques associated with Alzheimer’s
- MRI scans, another type of brain scan
- blood and urine tests
People who do not qualify for the main A4 study may be asked to participate in a separate study, in which they will take memory tests every 6 months.
To find out more about A4:
- Contact a local study site.
- Visit http://a4study.org
- Call 1-844-A4-STUDY (1-844-247-8839)
- Email A4firstname.lastname@example.org
Watch the A4 video:
View the video with Spanish subtitles:
The A4 Study is a landmark public-private partnership, funded by the National Institutes of Health, Eli Lilly and Company, and several philanthropic organizations. It is coordinated by the Alzheimer's Therapeutic Research Institute, located at the University of Southern California.
Additional materials in English and Spanish:
A4 flyer 1 (PDF, 2.2M)
A4 flyer 2 (PDF, 175K)
A4 flyer 3 (PDF, 3.1M)
A4 flyer 4 (PDF, 170K)
A4 flyer 5 (PDF, 603K)
A4 brochure (PDF, 1.7M)
A4 Spanish flyer (PDF, 628K)
A4 Spanish brochure (PDF, 1.4M)