Dr. Minkyo Song’s research focuses on how variation in immunity affects the aging progress and age-related outcomes in general and immune-altered populations. Despite the growing burden of autoimmune diseases and the importance of understanding their pathophysiology, studies of autoimmune diseases and aging are scarce. Dr. Song’s unit is dedicated to filling these gaps by investigating the patterns and variations of autoimmune diseases, addressing underdiagnosis, utilizing lifespan and longitudinal epidemiologic designs, and incorporating emerging risk factors such as new drugs, infections, and air pollution. Her research program leverages the recent and rapidly evolving tools of immunology and related technologies, particularly high-throughput proteomics and bioinformatics tools, to investigate the interaction of autoimmune diseases and aging and identify robust autoimmune disease biomarkers integrating these into epidemiologic studies.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (*co-first author)
1. Song M, Camargo MC, Derkach A, Rabkin CS, Engels EA. Associations between Autoimmune Conditions and Gastric Cancer Risk among Elderly US Adults. Am J Gastroenterol. 2022 Mar 1;117(3):486-490.
2. Song M, Camargo MC, Katki HA, Weinstein SJ, Männistö S, Albanes D, Surcel HM, Rabkin CS. Anti-Parietal Cell and Anti-Intrinsic Factor Antibodies and Risk of Gastric Cancer. JAMA Oncol. 2022 Feb 1;8(2):268-274.
3. Wang J, D’Arcy Monica, Freedman ND, Barnes EL, Engels EA, Song M. Associations of inflammatory bowel disease and subsequent cancers in the United States elderly population. JNCI Cancer Spectr. 2021 Dec 23;6(1):pkab096.
4. Song L*, Song M*, Camargo MC, Van Duine J, Williams S, Chung Y, Kim KM, Lissowska J, Sivins A, Kim S, Gao W, Karthikeyan K, Park J, Leja M, Cohen JI, LaBaer J, Qiu J, Rabkin CS. Identification of Anti-Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) Antibody Signature in EBV-Associated Gastric Carcinoma. Gastric Cancer. 2021 Jul;24(4):858-867. doi: 10.1007/s10120-021-01170-z.
5. Van Alsten SC, Rabkin CS, Sawada N, Shimazu T, Charvat H, Yamaji T, Inoue M, Kemp TJ, Pinto LA, Camargo MC, Tsugane S, Song M. Metabolic Syndrome, Physical Activity and Inflammation: A Cross-Sectional Analysis of 110 Circulating Biomarkers in Japanese Adults. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2020 Aug;29(8):1639-1646.