Careers at NIA
NIA, one of 27 NIH Institutes and Centers, leads a broad scientific effort to understand the nature of aging and to extend the healthy, active years of life. NIA is also the primary Federal agency supporting and conducting Alzheimer's disease research. To learn about new opportunities, subscribe to NIA Training and Career Development Updates e-alerts.
NIA’s most valuable asset is its dedicated and knowledgeable staff. If you would like to join us in our mission, explore current career opportunities in NIA’s Extramural Research Program (ERP) and Intramural Research Program (IRP):
- Division of Aging Biology, ERP
- Division of Behavioral and Social Research, ERP
- Division of Geriatrics and Clinical Gerontology, ERP
- Division of Extramural Activities, ERP
- Division of Neuroscience, ERP
- Center for Alzheimer's and Related Dementias, IRP
- Scientific Laboratories and Branches, IRP
- Office of Administrative Management
- Office of the Director
You can also learn about:
- NIA Training and Career Development Programs
- NIH Benefits and Pay
- NIH Work/Life Balance
- Federal Employment of People with Disabilities
NIH is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NIH’s Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion strives to maintain equity through complaint prevention, grievance practices, and conflict resolution. Learn more about equity, diversity, and inclusion at NIH and NIA's commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Extramural Research Program
NIA is home to five extramural research divisions. You can learn more about each research division and click on the links below to learn about current job openings.
Division of Aging Biology
- Chief, Aging and Physiology Branch
- Program Officer, Regenerative Biology Portfolio
- Program Officer, Molecular Epidemiology
- Program Officer, Microbiome and Virome in Aging Physiology Portfolio
Division of Behavioral and Social Research
- Program Officer, Health Systems and Health Economics
- Program Officer, Population Genetics/Biodemography
- Program Officer, Psychobiology and the Developmental Origins of Health and Disease
- Program Officer, Digital Health and Technical Solutions
- Program Officer, Office of Data Resources and Analytics (ODRA)
Division of Geriatrics and Clinical Gerontology
- Health Specialist, Office of the Director, NIA Aging Research Biobank
- Health Specialists, Geriatrics Branch and Clinical Gerontology Branch
- Health Scientist Administrator, Clinical Gerontology Branch, Clinical Aging Translational Research
- Health Scientist Administrator, Clinical Gerontology Branch, Juvenile Protective Factors and Resiliencies
Division of Extramural Activities
- Supervisory Social and Behavioral Scientist/Health Administrator, Social and Behavioral Science Section, Scientific Review Branch
Division of Neuroscience
- Program Officer, Population Studies and Genetics Branch
- Program Officers, Clinical Interventions and Diagnostics Branch
- Health Specialists, Office for Strategic Development and Partnerships
Intramural Research Program
NIA's Intramural Research Program (IRP) comprises seven scientific laboratories, the Translational Gerontology Branch, the Center for Alzheimer's and Related Dementias (CARD), and ten core facilities. The research program has three main focus areas: Neuroscience, Aging Biology, and Translational Gerontology.
IRP Training Programs
IRP offers opportunities for high school, college, post-bac, medical, and post-doc students to train and gain research experience in laboratory and clinical medicine.
- An Age Associated Minority Health and Health Disparities Fellowship
- Post-doctoral Fellowship Award for Aging Research
Learn more about training opportunities.
Center for Alzheimer's and Related Dementias (CARD)
Scientific Laboratories and Branches
- Staff Clinician (1), Clinical Research Core and Biorepository
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Laboratory of Behavioral Neuroscience, OMICS and Data Science Approaches to Alzheimer's Disease Drug Discovery
- Postdoctoral Fellow, DNA Repair Section
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Extracellular Vesicles and Neurodeneration, Diabetes Section, Laboratory of Clinical Investigation
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Social, Nutritional, or Molecular Epidemiology: The Healthy Aging in Neighborhoods of Diversity across the Life Span (HANDLS) study
- Staff Scientist 1 - RNA Regulation Section - Laboratory of Genetics and Genomics
- Staff Scientist 1 - Lymphocyte Differentiation Section - Laboratory of Molecular Biology & Population Sciences
- Tenure-Track Investigators, Laboratory of Epidemiology and Population Sciences
- Tenure-Track Investigator (Clinical), Laboratory of Epidemiology and Population Sciences
Office of Administrative Management
The Office of Administrative Management includes five branches focused on administrative management, ethics, financial management, information technology, and workforce and strategic planning.
There are no openings at this time.
Office of the Director
The Office of the Director includes offices on special populations, policy, communications, and planning and evaluation.