One Hundred-Nineteenth Meeting
Tuesday and Wednesday, June 4-5, 2013
Building 31, 6th Floor, C Wing, Conference Room 10
Day-of-the-Meeting Contact Phone: 301-402-7836
TUESDAY, June 4
3:00 to 5:00 p.m. – This portion of the meeting is closed to the Public
This portion of the meeting is closed to the public in accordance with the provisions set forth in section 552b(c)(6), Title 5 U.S. Code and Section 10(d) of the Federal Advisory Committee Act as amended (5 U.S.C. Appendix 2).
Review of Applications: Dr. Robin Barr
WEDNESDAY, June 5
8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. - This portion of the meeting is open to the Public
8:00 to 8:45 a.m.
Call to Order
Dr. Richard Hodes
- Director’s Status Report
Future Meeting Dates:
September 17-18, 2013 (Tue.-Wed.)
February 25-26, 2014 (Tue.-Wed.)
May 20-21, 2014 (Tues-Wed)
September 16-17, 2014 (Tues-Wed)
- Consideration of Minutes of Last Meeting
8:45 to 9:00 a.m.
Report: Task Force on Minority Aging Research
Dr. Eliseo Perez-Stable
9:00 to 9:10 a.m.
- Report: Council of Councils
Dr. Terrie Wetle
9:10 to 9:45 a.m.
Report: Working Group on Program
Dr. Richard Morimoto
- Recommendations/Approvals from Past Meetings
- RFA/RFP Concept Clearance
- Human Cell Reprogramming for Functional Genetics of Alzheimer’s Disease – (Dr. Brad Wise, DN)
- Inflammation and Aged-Related Diseases – (Dr. Ronald Kohanski, DAB)
- Interventions Testing Program Cooperative Agreement – Renewal and Expansion – (Drs. Rebecca Fuldner, Ronald Kohanski and Nancy Nadon, DAB)
- Development of Measures of Fatigability in Older Adults - (Dr. Basil Eldadah, DGCG)
- Multifactorial Fall Injury Prevention Intervention in Older Persons - (Dr. Evan Hadley, DGCG)
- Division of Neuroscience Final Program Report – Dr. Ron Petersen
9:45 to 10:00 a.m.
10:00 to 10:45 a.m.
- Council Speaker
Ms. Linda K. Harootyan, MSW
“Report on Friends of NIA” — Deputy Executive Director; Senior Director, Professional Affairs, Advocacy, and Grant Development, The Gerontological Society of America
10:45 to 11:45 a.m.
- Program Highlights
10:45 to 11:15 a.m.
Program Highlights (DN):
Dr. Neil Buckholtz
"Biomarkers of Cognitive Decline among Normal Individual: The BIOCARD Cohort" — Dr. Marilyn Albert, Director, Division of Cognitive Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine; Director, Johns Hopkins Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center, Johns Hopkins University
11:15 to 11:45 a.m.
Program Highlights (DBSR):
Dr. Richard Suzman
“Monetary Costs of Dementia in the United States” — Dr. Michael Hurd, Director of Aging Center/Senior Economist, RAND Corporation
11:45 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
12:00 to 1:00 p.m.
- Working Lunch
12:00 to 12:30 p.m.
- Working Lunch: Program Highlights (DGCG):
Dr. Evan Hadley
“Losartan for the Treatment of Wounds in Aging” — Dr. Jeremy Walston, Professor of Medicine, Co-Director, Biology of Healthy Aging Program, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
12:30 to 1:00 p.m.
Working Lunch: Program Highlights (DAB):
Dr. Felipe Sierra
“A Conserved Systemic Factor that Regulates Aging Phenotypes in Mammalian Tissues” — Dr. Amy J. Wagers, Associate Professor, Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology, Joslin Diabetes Center, Harvard University Medical School