Safe Use of Medicines
Questions to ask about your medicines
Ask these questions before you leave your doctor's office. Take this list with you each time you visit your doctor. Be sure to write your answers and keep them where you will see them.
Ask your doctor:
- What is the name of the medicine and why am I taking it?
- What medical condition does this medicine treat?
- How many times a day should I take this medicine? How much medicine should I take?
- How long will it take this medicine to work? When should I stop taking it?
- What should I do if I miss a dose?
- Are there any side effects I should know about? When should I call you if I am having side effects?
- Can I safely mix this medicine with the remedies, vitamins, and OTC drugs I am taking?
Each time you visit, be sure to ask your doctor if you still need to be on all your medicines.
Publication Date: July 2013
Page Last Updated: January 22, 2015